Car Title Loan Statistics Reported by State of California:
- Growth in auto title secured consumer loans slowed in 2015.
- The number of such loans originated last year went up 9.5 percent, to 116,444 from 106,373 in 2014.
- By comparison, the year-over year growth rate in the number of loans in 2014 was 16.2 percent.
- The aggregate principal of auto title loans in 2015 increased 10.9 percent from 2014, to $423.5 million from $381.9 million.
- That compared to a 14.1 percent growth rate in 2014.
- In 2015, more than half of the loans valued at $2,500 to $4,999 carried annual percentage rates (APR) of 100 percent or higher.
- Licensees originated 535,585 such loans, and 293,248 – or 54.7 percent – had APRs of 100 percent or higher.
- This was the largest category of consumer loans, as measured by number originated.
- Not sure: What is a Car Title Loan?
And an analysis of the California title loan volume during the past 10 years: